/*

Friday, November 04, 2005

Shanghai Trip - Day 9 - Part 2

So after we met up with Grandpa and Aunt Marilyn at the Four Seasons, we decided it was time to do something about dinner. Aunt Marilyn felt she hadn't had enough hairy crabs yet, so we asked the driver to take us to a restaurant that served them. As soon as we walked in, and spotted the gigantic plastic hairy crab sculpture, we knew we came to the right place.


 Posted by Picasa

The thing is, I didn't know it was truly a "crab house." When I picked up the menu, which actually had English translations, I saw that "Crab Powder" was in EVERY. SINGLE. ITEM. Yikes. Hai Fun, my nemesis. There was little to be done, but to just eat and hope for the best. We actually ended up ordering some kind of special crab feast, and afterwards made all sort of silly jokes to each other about it. My favorite was going up to my mom and telling her I thought she was full of "crab." Wha hah hah.

So, some pics of our Crab Feast:


Hot and cold appetizers, as usual Posted by Picasa

I don't remember them specifically, but I do recognize the Lotus stuffed with sticky rice on the left hand side, which I also had when I was in Zhouzhang.


More Hai Fun soup in Crab Bowl Posted by Picasa

Let's see. In the pic below, I think the dish on the left was Mushroom Medley with Hai Fun. The dish on the right is Deep Fried Hai Fun and Shrimp on Toast? Super greasy - I skipped the fried bread part since it was risky enough to eat so much Hai Fun.


 Posted by Picasa


 Posted by Picasa

More Hai Fun dishes. My monitor at work is really dark so I'm having a hard time identifying the food. On the far left, this was Hai Fun with Super Chewy Noodles. The stuff on the far right looks like french fries, but I'm quite sure they're not. I'll have to ask my mom later.


Individual Soupy Dumplings - yum! Posted by Picasa

The below was quite good. Basically, they took the Hai Fun, cooked it up with some veggies, and then re-stuffed the crab. What appears to be orange crab legs are actually cleverly sliced and placed carrots.


Stuffed Crab Posted by Picasa

Anyway, those are all the pics I have from that meal. I think mom was growing tired of taking a pic of every single dish. Oh well, you guys get the point - it was a Hai Fun feast!

And that was Day 9.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

did you survive the aftermath of the hai (not so) fun?

10:41 AM  
Blogger S said...

barely. barely barely barely. there was no happy ending for me and hai fun.

5:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home