/*

Sunday, July 10, 2005

Karaoke Saturday

So yesterday was a most excellent day.

Picked up Max from the airport, had Subway for lunch, watched a Netflixed Cheers Season 4 DVD, napped and then went to Fogo de Chao for dinner, which is this awesome Brazillian churrasco (sp?) style restaurant that just opened up in Beverly Hills. I had gone to one in Chicago with my family last winter, and was super excited about taking Max to the one here. It's pricey but awesome.

Afterwards, we headed to our old haunt, Boardwalk 11, for a fairly last minute "Max is going away for 10 weeks/Amol's Birthday was Earlier This Week/Josh's Birthday is Sometime in the Future" party. I had managed to get reservations so we actually had a table, which was nice. Sadly, few of our group actually got to sing - some of the other people there must have put in tons of songs as soon as they got there so we kept seeing the same few karaokers on stage over and over again. I didn't mind the group who looked like the cast of a UPN sitcom, but I really hated the group who kept singing show tunes from the Wizard of Oz musical, which I didn't even know existed. Blech....

Best part of the night was when, in the middle of these two girls giving a rendition of Beastie Boys "Paul Revere," Max suddenly joined them on stage. I'm not sure he was actually invited up, but he knew the lyrics forwards and backwards, and these girls were doing such a shitty job (had no idea what they were doing up there) he just felt compelled to help them out. I don't think they really wanted his help though - this one girl just would not let go of the microphone. Really hsyterical. When Julia sends them to me, I'll post up the pics of microphone tug-of-war that ensued.

Anyway, we helped close out the bar and got back a little after two. I didn't have the guts to go up on stage to sing any Carole King (I'm a private room type of girl when it comes to karaoke places), so Max kindly humored me and listened to me warble out several CK songs in bed ("So Far Away" and "It's Too Late"), not to mention other 70's Light FM songs ("When I Need You" and "Long, Long, Time") before drifting off to sleep.

A most excellent day.

2 Comments:

Blogger Independent Woman said...

I should be more of a private karaoke singer- learned my lesson after I was filmed singing "Material Girl" a few years ago. Not only did I sing the song but I also told a couple guys to frig off and some other nasty things. Really charming portrait of myself and I've resisted singing karaoke when I'm drunk now!

1:01 PM  
Blogger S said...

I think I'd cry if I ever saw myself karaoking on tape!!!

4:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home