/*

Friday, September 30, 2005

We Ain't No Ghetto Pig

So today was Pig's big visit to the dentist. It was actually quite nerve-wracking. On the outside, the hospital looked like a cute charming cottage with this beautiful hand painted sign. And a random cage of crows. Hmm.... On the inside - well, let's just say I didn't actually expect it to look like something from All Creatures Great and Small, but it did. It was pretty messy and old looking, with random surgical tools just hanging around everywhere. The Dentist was this great big hulking man who came out in scrubs with blood stains all over them. Yikes. Pig wasn't the only one cowering in the corner.

But the good news is, her teeth are fine. No need for gold crowns (incidentally when I told Max I was going to have gold crowns put on Pig's teeth he thought I was serious and was SO horrified). I guess there's something called a second dentin which means over time, the teeth enamel will grow over the pulp and seal it back up. So she's not in pain. Since the Dentist was also a general vet, I mentioned that she's been a little stiff lately so poor Pig had to get hip x-rays as well. After having this man thoroughly examine her teeth, and scrape off some tartar, she had to be put up on the x-ray table and rolled over on her back. Someone got lots of cookies today. Someone else got a big vet bill to pay off.

And more good news - her hips are fine. She has a little arthritis in her lower back, but not enough to put her on meds. The Dentist suggested I pick up some glucosamine for her, which I can get even at Trader Joe's. I guess that stuff lubricates joints and is good for people and dogs. Go figure. Pig and I could soon be on the same supplements.

2 Comments:

Blogger ElliottPreciousPants said...

Actually, most of the medications dogs take are the same ones that people take, they just cost less.

You can get glucosamine online I think even cheaper than you can probably get it from Trader Joe's. Hmm, actually, you should call my mom, because she has all these dog catalogs she orders things from, and you can probably get it real cheap from a dog catalog.....

2:52 PM  
Blogger S said...

Oh, good idea. I think I'll start by looking online myself, instead of bothering your mom. Maybe, when you get a chance, you can ask her who she order from?

4:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home