Monday, September 26, 2005

RV Rampage - Day 1

So, now that I'm done with wasting time at the office planning the RV trip, I'll waste some time at the office recapping it.

Let me just say that I'm really glad I got to fulfill this lifelong dream of mine to drive around in a RV. I don't know if you guys remember that stupid thing that kids do where they list their three favorite cars, three numbers they like, three names of guys they know, etc., and then there's this weird formula that "predicts" that you will marry Bob and have 24 kids and drive a Ferrari when you grow up. Anyway, I ALWAYS had a RV in my top three favorite cars, so this was a pretty awesome experience for me.

So, it all started Thursday at noon, when Kate, Max and I took a long drive to Montclair to pick up the RV. The guy gave us a walk-through and showed us how to work this beautiful brand new RV, which we were doomed to lose our security deposit on (I'm foreshadowing here), since it was practically flawless. Anyway, Max drove it back, Kate and I went off to work, and that was that.

Friday morning I woke up at 3:45 a.m. Yep. That's a mighty early. I figured since I wouldn't be showering for a few days, I had to shower that morning. Max and I packed up the RV, Thode came by and dropped off Punk, who was staying with Pig with a babysitter at my place for the weekend. We headed over to Jake's and really, for me, this next part was one of my favorite parts of the whole trip - loading up the RV. First off, everyone was really excited. And, I got to see what everyone brought and everyone brought a TON of stuff. I think I duly proved to everyone on the trip that I'm the kind of girl who likes to eat, so seeing all this food was super exciting. Sad, I know. We had two cabinets dedicated to an assorted Costco pack of chips, one cabinet for cookies, one cabinet for hot dog buns, and so on. Everyone did a terrific and generous job of buying food and beverages and other necessities. There was a little chaos when the sprinklers came on right next to where everyone had set their stuff down to load, but we soon dried out.

Max took the first shift of driving, and took us up the 5, over the Tejon Pass/Grapevine area. We stopped at McDonald's for breakfast, even though we probably had over 100 lbs of food in the RV. I took the next shift of driving. It was fairly easy since we were on a flat highway, but my heart did beat a little faster every time I passed a big truck. The thing about an RV is that it seems to move really easily in the wind, so I was convinced I'd sway into the cars around.

We met up with Jessie (she had to leave early on Saturday so she drove up seperately) a few miles outside of Fresno and were making great time. Lypstykgirl took the next shift, and even though, poor thing, her feet could barely reach the pedals, she got us to Yosemite. We stopped at Wawona and took a shuttle bus to Mariposa Grove where we saw some really really beautiful trees. They were huge and amazing to look at. I will post pics later.

Max took the next shift through Yosemite Valley, which again was gorgeous. Unfortunately, on our way through the valley, a stupid piece of rock jutting out of the side of the mountain scraped our rear outside tire and we got a flat. As a result of the tire blowing out, the RV swerved into the side of the mountain and broke the rear view mirror. Yeah. That part sucked. There were also some trees that scratched the truck. Luckily after much hassle and stress, and some really really good driving by Max, we were able to get it fixed at a small auto store in the village area. Strangely, the mechanics there all had long braided pony tails and a beard. Made me think of Snow White and the 7 Dwarves, but that's just me.

We finally got to Hodgdon Meadows at around 7 p.m. It was dark when we got there and I was sent out of the car to find our sites, #90 & #92. I was pretty grumpy and slightly embarassed as I had managed to run straight into a pine tree and got needled in my scalp - and in a super clutsy move, had hit my head on the rear view mirror. But eventually I did find our sites, and they were pretty decent spots. It was surprisingly cold though so we quickly parked, made a fire and started cooking.

The sleeping arrangements for the first night were kind interesting. Another lifelong dream was fulfilled ;) - Plumb got to sleep in the same bed with Kate AND Thode, up on the cab. Me & Max on the queen bed (everyone was very nice about that). Lypstykgirl, by virtue of being the shortest one there, slept in the dinette/children's bed. Jake took the floor. Jessie took the sofa. And Amol & Annie decided to brave the great outdoors and pitched a tent.

And in the morning, we discovered that we had parked at an angle the whole night, which explained the crick in my neck (I had slid backwards up against the headboard), and the fact that Plumb had joined Jake on the floor, having more or less rolled off the cab (although there is some evidence that Kate shoved him off).

Day 2 to come later...


Blogger kate said...

I did not shove him off!

[ok, maybe i did.]

2:55 PM  
Blogger Plumb said...

I didn't believe it when they said that sleeping with two women at once would screw up your relationship, but now I and my broken body are living examples.

5:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home