/*

Wednesday, October 20, 2004

Baseball Rant

So I actually watched the baseball game last night between the Yankees and the Red Sox. I've never really watched baseball on tv but since it was such a big deal I found it interesting. Sort of. Just for the record, I hate baseball. I think it's boring, plus I have really bad memories of it from middle school. I'd like, for a second, to bitch about my stupid middle school P.E. teachers. I distinctly remember being mortified because I lost the game for my team once, during gym class, when I ran over a base, instead of staying on it. I think it was first base, and Max explained to me that's actually legal, so maybe it was second base or something. Regardless, don't you think a responsible P.E. teacher would take the time to EXPLAIN THE FUCKING RULES before he forces his students to play???? Because if I had known I couldn't run over the base, I wouldn't have done it, and I wouldn't have lost the game for my team, and I wouldn't have been embarrassed for the rest of the week!!! Grrrrr.....just thinking about it makes my blood pressure go up. You know what else makes me mad? On the last day of that school year, as a "Fun Day" treat, we had to play baseball. I, of course, having not forgiven the sport and its stupid rules, whined and bitched about it. However, I did dutifully stand in left field or wherever, and maybe I wasn't paying attention to the game, but I did at least stand there with a glove. And maybe the ball flew past me, and maybe I ducked, but it was genuinely a reflex and besides, that's what they get for making me play and telling me that it's actually a treat. Then I got pulled aside and got yelled at by another P.E. teacher for being a bad sport. Did I mention this was ON THE LAST DAY OF SCHOOL, one of the best days of the whole year, when life is supposed to be totally awesome??? I pointed out that making me play baseball was hardly a fun experience for me and was akin to physical torture and that if they really wanted me to have fun, they should just let me stay in the library but the teacher just kept yelling at me. She was a really mean evil woman who spat when she yelled. Which then made me nervous cuz I was a nervous kid and I just kept thinking about the germs that were flying towards my face, and the fact that this whole situation was entirely unfair.

Goddammit, she should be glad I can't remember her name. I am so NOT above toilet papering people's houses, even at my age.

4 Comments:

Blogger ElliottPreciousPants said...

Seriously. Phys ed sucked. Especially baseball. Not to mention that high school-middle school was the time when you didn't want to get all sweaty and gross and then go to your classes with all your peers because you are all self conscious at that age.....God now you are bring back horrible memories for me. Like when I failed a basketball test because I only made 6 baskets in a minute.....

11:45 AM  
Blogger LypstykGirl said...

My favorite was swimming in phys ed. I can think of few more mortifying things - you're 12, you have your period, so you have to sit out and then all the boys know why you're on the bench. Especially the boy you have a crush on. And your gym teacher - a woman who is skin and bones with pinched lips, a woman who probably hasn't had her period in years because her uterus was blackened and shriveled from lack of use - has no sympathy and makes you sit on the side instead of going to the library.

I envied all the Muslim girls because they couldn't swim with boys anyways. I think in junior high I would've welcomed the burka.

3:45 PM  
Blogger S said...

ElliotPreciousPants - 6 BASKETBALLS A MINUTE IS FREAKIN' AWESOME!!! I can't even make one. Also, I could never do a chin-up and ALWAYS had the lowest score when it came to sit-ups per minute.

5:30 PM  
Blogger S said...

Swimming...oh don't even get me started on swimming. My parents forced me to join the swim team in middle school, even though all i could do was doggie paddle. I couldn't dive (still can't) so I had to jump in the water at the sound of the whistle and push off the wall. Everyone was pretty much at the other end of the pool by the time I managed that. I did win "The Most Improved Swimmer" though - because in my final race of the seaon I actually beat someone and wasn't in last place for the first time that whole year.

5:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home