/*

Monday, October 25, 2004

Weekend Recap

Oom pa pa, Oom pa pa...

Well, I had a really nice weekend. Max made me meatloaf on Friday night, which is one of my very favorite foods. Even though it sounds totally gross, I love it. I have this obession with foods that are super all American, and meatloaf definitely falls in that category. Also tri-tips and trout almondine. And rice pilaf, cuz when I was younger, we only ate Chinese white rice. Anyway, we sat around and drank wine and watched tv so it was a very nice and comfy Friday night.

Went to the library Saturday morning and picked up some more Agatha Raisin books. Also a book called "The Inspector and Mrs. Jeffries." Another cozy mystery. Seriously, I just can't stop reading that crap. It's become a terrible addiction. Saturday night was all about Oktoberfest 2004. I volunteered to drive, which is my way of getting people to go somewhere cheezy with me. Max and I picked up Josh and Rebecca and made our way to the Alpine Village in Torrance. It's amazing - if you drive even 20 miles out of Los Angeles, people start looking like they're from Michigan. As in, they're not all gorgeous and stick thin. But they were still better looking than the people at Cedar Point. If you've ever been to Cedar Point, you know what I'm talking about. Anyway, Alpine Village did not look like Frankenmuth, so that's too bad. I've never been to an Oktoberfest before and I guess I thought it would be like a Bavarian Renaissance Festival. Instead, it was more like a big outdoor party with long tables, beer, crappy food and music. But it was lots of fun. We all bought big beers but were too cheap to buy the steins that go with it so we drank out of huge 32 oz styrofoam cups. We jigged to the Oom Pa Pa band, and shouted "OY OY OY" and made multiple trips to the bathroom (Josh and Max each had two big beers so you can only imagine how long the bathroom lines were at this place) and then went home.

Sunday, I just couldn't muster the energy to go watch the Lions play the Giants, which is too bad, cuz they won! Amazing. They actually suck way less than they used. Instead, I read my Agatha Raisin books, took Pig for a walk and made the cookie dough for some Black & Whites (got the recipe from yes, the silly Chocolate Chip Murder Mystery book) I guess you have to chill the dough overnight so it gets firmer. Anyway, I was going to make them to take to Kate's house on Tuesday, where she was going to feed me and few friends but our little dinner gathering got moved so now I don't know what to do with all this cookie dough. I think I'm just going to practice until I make a decent batch because I burnt my first batch this morning. And they were really really ugly too. I guess I made them way too big (in my mind "walnut size" is about the same as "golf ball size" but apparently walnuts are smaller) so they looked like large, dome-shaped chocolate muffin tops with odd patches of powdered sugar on them. Definitely not things you'd bring anywhere.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home