/*

Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Post Move-In Update (Scroll Down for Photos)

The thing about moving in together after dating for over four years is that there's not much that I haven't seen or don't know about Max. We've really been basically living together for years now. The only thing I need to adjust to is all his furniture and items he's brought over from his apartment. Now we've managed to fit most of it, and most of it actually fits quite nicely. But frankly, I'm just not used to the Straight Man's Decorating Mind. Not that I'm any good at decorating - I live by the "Line your furniture around the perimeter of the room" rule and haven't hung anything up on the walls. Ever. But still. The SMDM stumps me. I haven't had a male roommate ever. My last roomie was Kate, and I can honestly say there wasn't anything she put anywhere that I didn't approve of. Except for maybe the open tin of Mrs. Beasley Lemon Cake, and that only happened once. ;)

These past few days, I keep coming home to find items in strange locations. Now I'll be the first to admit that I can be totally anal and OCD about certain things - (*gasp, no!!!*) I know that about myself, so the comforter that he bunched up and jammed into the Scary Closet will be carefully refolded when I get around to it. That's not him, it's me. Just like the random football that he set on top of the bedroom bookcase - more me than him. Football will soon be relocated to the "games" area of the living room closet.

But yesterday, when I looked up at the very top of my kitchen cabinet and I found a George Foreman Grill displayed up there with all my DECORATIVE items such as plants, vases, cool candle holders, etc...I thought...Hmm...what exactly goes on in the SMDM?????

Then, I plopped down on the couch, and found myself staring at 3 plastic gumby like COLONS with happy faces on them, all lined up in a row on the tv stand, staring back at me. Now, I happen to know these bendable happy faced plastic colons are a gift from Marco (his brother-in-law), who got them from some pharmaceutical company, but is it anal to not want to see 3 grinning plastic colons lined up on the tv stand? Hey, I got a sense of humor...but still....

Obviously, living together is all about compromise and Max is a very agreeable guy. He doesn't care at all that I've hogged up over 3/4 of the clothes closet and dresser. Or that I've stuck all his tools and electrical junk into a wicker trunk thing that is a big pain in the ass to get into. And chances are, I can move things around and he wouldn't even notice. Even if he did notice, he wouldn't care enough to do anything about it. So in return, we'll leave the Detroit Lions throw pillow out in the living room (during football season.) And we'll leave the creepy card from his friend (scary pic of her on the outside, something about engorged penises and fecal matter on the inside) on top of the living room book shelf.

But I think I can draw the line at 3 grinning plastic colons, right?

2 Comments:

Blogger 3am wanderer said...

brian has a plush animated syphilis thing. Can it have a playdate with your plastic colons?

1:30 PM  
Blogger S said...

kate - excellent idea. We should call the Milton Bradley people and see if we can get Find the Three Plastic Colons turned into a semi-board game.

Julia - plush animated syphillis. I don't think I've ever seen those three words in the same sentence...

4:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home