/*

Sunday, January 22, 2006

Weekend Recap

A most excellent weekend, the high point of which was discovering that there is in fact a Ramona Quimby book that I did not read as a child, despite being an obsessive fan of the series. More about that later though.

Weekend started with a call from Amol Friday afternoon, suggesting that we go get pho (vietnamese noodles) for dinner. A few calls later, I had rounded up a group but alas, all the good pho places are either in Monterrey Park or Chinatown or Silverlake or Torrance, all of which were too far away to drive to during Friday rush hour. We settled for Korean bbq instead and headed over to K-town, to a place called BCD Tofu House. The food was great, portions were huge, it's open 24 hours a day, actually has a parking lot (huge plus in LA) and the best part is there's a little doorbell type thing on your table that you can press to summon your waitress. With our stomaches full of spicy tofu soon, and our hair reeking of bulgogi, we headed over to Brass Monkey, a popular karaoke bar just a few blocks away from the restaurant. It was altogether a great night.

Saturday morning I headed over to the gym to take a step aerobics class. Step aerobics is my new "thing" - I love it. (Reminds me of you, elliot!) Anyway, Amol had agreed to go originally, but forgot and overslept, so per our agreement, he had to wear his swimsuit the next time I saw him. Which he sportingly did. Unfortunately for him, the next time I saw him was at AD's housewarming party later that night, where a good 40 some people had gathered. Haha. Poor Amol. Poor Amol who didn't even bring a change of clothes, so he spent the whole night in his swim trunks with a towel draped over his shoulders. Personally, I think he rather liked it.

The party was really fun - there was a lot of food and the guys had spent about $300 stocking up their bar. Somehow towards the end of the night, Benjamin, Courtney and I ended up having a conversation about the Ramona Quimby series. I LOVE that series. My first real non-picture book was "Ramona Quimby, Age 8" and I've always said if I have a daughter, I'm naming her "Ramona." In fact, Pig came very close to being named "Ramona." Also "Boba" but that's besides the point... Anyway, soon there was a bet about whether one of the books in the series is titled "Ramona Quimby, Age 8" or "Ramona Quimby, Age 5" (which of course it isn't), which lead to some internet researching, which lead to an amusing hour of taking online trivia quizzes on Beverly Cleary and Judy Blume novels. Can I just say, I love my friends? THAT is how WE roll...Anyway, in doing research, we discovered Beverly Cleary had written one called "Ramona's World" which none of us had read. Turns out it's the first one written in 15 years and was published in 2001. I've already ordered it from Amazon.

Today has been a mostly boring but relaxing day. Took Pig and Punk out for a walk, napped on the couch, watched two blow-out football games, and started reading a popular mystery series by Sue Grafton.

*yawn* I predict an early bedtime, which is my favorite way of ending a nice weekend.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was a total Ramona addict growing up. Can't believe that I was unaware of this. Remember when her dad was smoking and she made that sign that didn't fit on the paper? I think it said "nosmo king"? Aww....
-aj

8:52 AM  
Blogger S said...

Oh totally. I used to re-read and re-read and re-read those books.

Do you remember the "dawnzer lee light" (something like that...)?

9:20 AM  
Blogger Junarakasa said...

Sareet, I love Ramona Quimby too. Ramona books and the Fudge books (by Judy Blume) were my absolute favorites growing up!

And BCD Tofu House is the best. I used to live very near the one on the corner of Wilshire and Kingsley and we would walk over all the time. When I moved to Torrance, I really missed having that close by - but mid-last year a branch opened up about 5 minutes from where we live. I especially like the grilled short ribs and the spicy soon tofu soup. Am getting hungry just thinking about it!

12:06 PM  
Blogger S said...

That's the combo I got Joanne! Yum. So good!

12:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home