/*

Friday, June 06, 2008

Super Power

So I've noticed lately that for about three days a month - those same three days when I'm ridiculously bloated, emotional, and hungry - I have a heightened sense of smell. I can smell EVERYTHING. I can smell Starbucks more than a block away. I can smell people's detergent like it's perfume. When I walk down the hall at work, I can smell different shampoos/soap as I pass each office. When cars drive by, I can actually smell the difference in exhaust fumes from one car to another.

But alas, like all super powers, it's a curse and a blessing. Blessing when someone with great perfume walks by; a curse when Pig farts. Blessing when I walk near a bakery by my house; curse when I walk into an elevator full of those guys from the floor above who are video game testers and apparently don't shower on a regular basis. Blessing when I noticed the smell of the office and it reminds me of my first day interviewing there and how excited I was; curse when I noticed a distinct, um, pungent smell, by the bushes in the alley behind Rage (and I can just say, EWWWW).

I'd like to find a way to put my super power to use for those three days a month. Like...hmm...nothing is coming to mind. It's not like I can track down a lost puppy or missing child. That would be useful. Or sniff out cancer. Basically, all I can do is point out which direction the garbage truck went (even from a good two blocks away), and tell if someone's showered.

Sigh. Stupid super power.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

that's exactly what happens to women when they get knocked up. must be the same hormone issues. interesting. i have a friend who can't smell at all, and he thinks he should use his power for good by being a garbage man or something. maybe you could be a quality control person, like a taster, but for something that is supposed to smell good...?

4:41 PM  
Blogger S said...

hmm... maybe for 3 days a month I could be a coffee bean tester??

do you remember maija? she couldn't smell either. that just must make food taste so bland. but good if you live with a smelly guy.

12:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

considering that guy she dated freshman year, probably for the best. we certainly all had questionable taste in guys though. i loved maija- she woke us up with cheers every morning.

12:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home