/*

Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Close Call

Whew - just escaped from potential total disaster. I had gone to shut the glass sliding door on my balcony and noticed half of it had slipped off the track and it wasn't really sliding. I stepped outside and tried lifting the door back on to the track. I pulled a bit, and then pulled up a bit, and pushed, and rocked, and this and that until I noticed the door was practically closed - but still only half on the track. Worst of all, it was jammed and I couldn't open it again and I was stuck outside on the balcony. At 10:30 p.m.!! I could see Pig napping blissfully on her bed through the door but she was obviously of no help. The lights were out in the apartments on either side of me, and the nearest building was a whole house away - and their lights were off too. After 15 minutes of frantic pulling, I managed to yank the 300 lb glass door entirely off the track. Which was good, because it meant I could at least get back inside, but bad because now I had no door. And of course, with no door, mice and serial killers would be able to run in during the middle of the night so that was a problem. Even if I could make it through the night, I was still not looking forward to asking the apartment manager to fix the door, as we had a bit of a misunderstading earlier this week and I'd rather avoid him. I tried for another several minutes, to no avail. And then I started worrying that even if I gave up and just propped the glass door somewhere, it could fall down and crash and kill Pig. Finally, just when I was about to burst into big baby tears and call Max and yell at him for being in Denver since putting the sliding door back on track is his job, I managed to fit the glass door back on to the track. And all was good again.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

yay! good job girl fixing. it can be tough, since it is max's job. sometimes when i try to fix stuff (or kill bugs- also ascribed to boy job), there are big baby tears anyway, even if i fix the problem. There's always big baby tears if i have to make sure something is dead- bugs, squirrels- anything that has apparently expired or been squished near my home.

7:15 AM  
Blogger S said...

Oh yes. I had to kill a big ass spider the other night and again, almost called Max to yell at him for being in Denver.

4:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home