/*

Saturday, August 06, 2005

Weekend in Denver - Part 1

Well, my weekend began yesterday, shortly after dropping Pig off at Thode's (check her blog for the Adventures of Punk & Pig). Thode had kindly offered to take Pig so Pig has been spared a trip to Krazy Karen's this weekend. Like a true fellow dog mom, Thode not only sent me, unprompted, a text message telling me things were going great, but also let me "talk" to Pig on the phone this morning. She is awesome.

So the flight to Denver was fairly uneventful. I won $10 playing video poker at the Las Vegas airport, which the pilot oh-so-cleverly refered to as the Lost Wages Airport. As we pulled away from the runway, I noticed a beautiful rainbow that ended not at a pot of gold, but at a large Hooters private plane. Ahh...Vegas.

Max picked me up from the airport and brought me back to the apartment where he's been put up. Holy mother of god. This apartment is amazing!!! I'm really tempted to just quit my job and hang out here for the rest of his stay. It's a loft apartment located in downtown Denver - wooden floors, king size bed, marble counters, 1 1/2 baths, flat screen HD tv's, Crate & Barrel decor and luxury sheets. I feel like I'm in a Romantic Comedy Movie and I've just entered the apartment of the architect/doctor/advertising exec/businessman Boyfriend. And Max is playing the role perfectly. He surprised me with a present - an Ipod, to replace the mp3 player I broke a few months ago. But he didn't just give me an Ipod - he downloaded songs that he knew I liked, and the audiobook for MUST LOVE DOGS. Then he wrapped everything back up again, so it all fit nicely in the packaging for me to open. Can I get a collective, "awwwww"???? All I brought for him was his mail and his Sports Illustrated mags.

Anyway, Nick (Max's best friend and Grayling AJ's brother)came over in the evening and we all went out to a restaurant, which I later discovered was called Wazee's Lounge & Supper Club. I've never been to a Lounge & Supper Club, but neither has the owner of this restaurant. When I think of "supper club" I guess I think of a place with a piano and maybe some woman in a shimmery dress singing My Funny Valentine or something. This place offered buckets of beer. The food was awesome, but it was essentially a pizza parlor. No complaints here though. I don't really care what they call themselves. Max, who's become quite the epicurian, ordered us a Bianca style pizza with roasted peppers, feta cheese, sundried tomatoes, and chicken, and all I can say is, I'll be going back again the next time I come to Denver.

After a late start this morning, Max and I headed out to check out the downtown area. We stopped a restaurant called Marlowe's which can proudly boast of serving the worst Italian Chopped Salad Ever. I actually tried to take a picture of it (imagine non-chopped iceberg lettuce drenched in Italian dressing with 3 olives, strange slivers of turkey, one sliced piece of pepperoni, and some oddly chopped pepperocinis) but the server came by before I had a chance to. Luckily, he was a good server and didn't charge me for it. Max and I continued down the 16th Street Mall, which is very cute and looks a bit like Downtown Disneyland. Afterwards, we went to another mall and shopped around.

So, so far so good. Really like Denver, it reminds me a lot of Ann Arbor, but bigger. Max is watching the NFL network, and I'm about to take a nap so it's almost like we're in LA. Except,of course, for the fact that he's watching it on a flat screen HD tv and I'm about to nap on a suede Pottery Barn couch.

2 Comments:

Blogger Junarakasa said...

Glad to hear you had a great weekend in Denver! Max sounds incredibly sweet. Downloading the audio of Must Love Dogs is a nice touch. Speaking of which, my husband got me the same book over the weekend. What's up with that? :) Oh and the photo-op at the airport w/ those 2 guys is kinda strange. But in a funny way. I wouldn't worry about it anymore.

9:18 AM  
Blogger S said...

Joanne- you know, now that I've been reading your blog and known you for longer, I agree with what you first posted - we are a lot alike! So I'm not surprised your husband got you Must Love Dogs too!

1:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home