/*

Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Random News

The tickets are booked. Max and I are going to Ireland!!!

Here's a link to the castle where the wedding will be held and where we'll be staying for a night!

http://www.cabracastle.com/

I've also suggested that to make things interesting, maybe we'll try a variety of accomodations during the week we're there - hotels, bed & breakfasts, even...a hostel. I'm not quite sure I really want to stay at a hostel, but I figure if I actually try it once, I can legitimately bitch about it and dodge having to stay at another one for the rest of my life.

In other interesting news, my brother is relocating to San Francisco from Chicago. I'm pretty excited about this. I anticipate a lot of drives up north these next few months. He's staying with the "Chinese Costanzas" until he finds a place. Maybe I can get him to "guest blog" and post some entries about life with the grandparents and and the rest of the gang up there.

This morning I was on the phone with my mom, and I said, "I bet you anything the first fight "Theo" will have with the "Chinese Costanzas" will be over laundry."

And funny enough, my mom said - "Oh that's what everyone has their money on already! Your aunts have already predicted this!"

The thing is, we know my grandma and brother so well. But you heard it here first:

Theo will say he will do his own laundry. He'll keep a basket in his room. Grandma will be okay with this, until she can't resist and will sneak into the guest room, find his dirty laundry, and wash his clothes. Then she will say, "I had to do your laundry because it was smelling up the place!" My brother will respond with, "I TOLD you I was going to do my own laundry, why'd you go into my room? And by the way, you SHRUNK all my clothes!" Grandma will then play victim and say something like, "Oh so now you're yelling at me - ME - an old woman - who has to act like a servant and do YOUR laundry. Oh I'm so sorry, Mr. Man of the House!"

(*sigh*)

I have NO doubt this will happen. I know because it's happened to me. Not the actually arguing part, but let me just say, from experience, Grandma will find the dirty underwear that you planned to wash when you got back to LA - the dirty underwear that you stashed in a pile under your suitcase - the dirty underwear that then miraculously became clean and folded in a pile on top of your bed. And then you have to walk around with the knowledge that your grandma thinks you're a freak because who the hell hides dirty underwear under a suitcase?

My mom, by the way, has suggested that my brother keep his dirty laundry locked in the trunk of his car. I added that he should keep the key on a string around his neck.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooooohhhhhh- I wanna go back to ireland SO BADLY. Please put me in your suitcase. I'm really not all that big.
-aj

10:40 AM  
Blogger S said...

Kate - yeah, the hostel thing...I don't really know how I feel about it. I just figure, if I do it once, then I can avoid doing it again.

AJ - I'd love any advice you have on where to go. We'll be there for a whole week.

12:06 PM  
Blogger LypstykGirl said...

How exciting!!

4:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The castle looks like a lot of fun, but I don't think there's any good reason at all to stay in a hostel. I think that by the time you're out of college and working, that's one experience you can be glad you've avoided. Ask Angie about the hostel she stayed in (I don't remember where--maybe Paris) where the shower was just out in the open and got everything wet).

11:01 AM  
Blogger S said...

Lynn - I will ask Angie about it. Sounds awful!

Actually I don't really want to stay at a hostel, but I feel like I should compromise - Max seems to really want to stay at a hostel - for the ENTIRE trip (yes, I'm serious!), so I figure I can at least be a good sport about it for a few days.

I do agree with you that I'm far too old to stay at a hostel. I just feel like two post-college working people shouldn't have to do that. That's more for the recent grad...or the homeless.

You know, the more I think about it - I'm not staying at a hostel!!! Max and Peeper can stay at one if they want!!! I'm checking myself into the nearest Marriott!!!

11:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home