/*

Saturday, March 25, 2006

Pig Results

IT'S NOT CANCER!!!! WHOO HOOO!!!!!!

Apparently she has something called Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD), which is a lot like Irritable Bowel Syndrome, or Chrohn's Disease in humans. It is very manageable, and not life threatening. She will probably have to stay on meds for a while and the vet will work with us to figure out what is the lowest dosage possible that will keep it in check. There is no real cause of it - it's just more of an immune system thing and just the way her body reacts, probably to certain foods, but not necessarily. Some dogs need meds daily, others skip a day, and some even go without except for when it flares up. She may have had it for awhile, or she may have just developed it.

Ironically, my grandpa has basically the same problem. I guess it's in the genes. Pig clearly was destined to be part of my family - she has a thyroid problem and a gastrointestinal problem, which both run in my family.

Thanks again to everyone who's been thinking of us. It means a lot to me. And Pig, of course. Pets are such an important part of our lives - I consider Pig to be family - she's my kid, and one of my best friends. She's so loving and always there for me, and wants so little in return - just mainly affection, cookies and exercise. I know part of being a pet owner is accepting the fact that unless your pet is a Galapagos tortoise, you're probably going to outlive it, but it's not something you like to think about very often, and when you are forced to deal with the possibility, it helps a great deal to know you have friends and family who care.

So give your pet a big hug (unless you do happen to have a Galapagos tortoise) from me and Pig! Thanks again!!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yipppeeeee!
-aj and park

6:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So glad to hear it. Pig has many more adventures to have. Angie and I were just discussing Pig at breakfast this morning with Angie's friend Leslie and her mom Judi whose husband is a vet.

9:16 AM  
Blogger ElliottPreciousPants said...

Oh thank God. I know exactly what you mean. I am certainly not looking forward to the day that I have to say good bye to a bunny. Bandit especially...

6:19 AM  
Blogger kate g said...

WOO HOO!! yay!
i'm so glad pig is all right. sweet pig, everyone loves her (even if we haven't met her!)

7:13 AM  
Blogger S said...

Thanks everyone!!

I am just really so relieved she's okay. And that I got a big tax return this year to cover the GIGANTIC vet bill! Vets must make a good living...

11:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home