/*

Saturday, December 25, 2004

Merry Christmas!!!

Merry Christmas everyone!!! I'm back in Michigan and freezing. Man, it's cold here. So, I figured I'd post a bit about what I've done so far since, well, it's 11:30 p.m. and the Sound of Music is on the wedding part which is boring...

Got in Wednesday morning on a red eye flight. I literally had the worst seat on the plane. Middle seat, last row. It smelled really bad back there. I kept trying to convince myself it was the smell of the coffee but I know deep down it was the reek of the bathrooms. Normally I sleep like baby on the plane but I had a hard time sleeping this time, on account of the stench and the fact that the stupid stewardesses spent the whole flight chitchatting right by my head. It took over an hour for me to get the luggage - Northwest Airlines came up with some excuse about a ramp (what?) but I suspect they couldn't get the cargo trunk opened. Anyway, I got back home and took what should have been a really long nap. Unfortunately, my mom woke me up a few hours later and told me that there was going to be a huge snowstorm and if I wanted to go up to Grayling, I needed to drive up immediately to beat the storm, rather than wait until the next day. Grayling is a small town in northern Michigan with a population of 4000. It's got about three bars, four restaurants, and a Sears the size of the average Payless Shoe Store. Max is from Grayling and he had invited me up for a Christmas party his parents were throwing. Anyway, after much pondering, I decided to drive up, even though I was exhausted and I'm totally glad I did. Max and I had a great time. We hung out for a bit, got dinner, and then hit all their major hot spots - Spikes, The Old Barn and the Sawmill. They're all these little bars where a drink costs about $3. No complaints there.

Anyway, the next day (Thursday) was the day of the big Xmas party. There was a gift exchange and I decided to bring a money tree. Max and I drove around and bought a small little fake xmas tree. I hung up a whole bunch of scratcher tickets and some dollar bills with red ribbons as ornaments. An Easy pick lotto ticket was the star at the top of the tree. It was a huge hit at the party and everyone wanted it. Credit goes to my mom, who came up with idea circa 1992. I think it swapped hands at least 6 times. We did that thing where you could either open a new present or take one that was already open. I had a terrific time and came back with a $50 Gap gift certificate and bar of chocolate flavored soap.

The next morning, I drove Max and Forrest (his brother) to the airport. Max and his family were going to Italy. And oh yeah, my sister's car that I borrowed got bashed. Totally not my fault. Idiot driver, who lives less than 1/2 a mile away from Max backed out of his driveway without looking and ran into me. There was no damage on his huge idiotic pick up truck (of course), but my bumper is ruined, and my front right headlights are broken. Oh well.

So we spent Christmas Eve doing something that we've never done before but I suspect my mother's wanted to do her ever since we were born. The four of us (her, me, my brother and sister) played Mahjong. My mom is a huge mahjong freak and that's the first time we've ever all been around and old enough to play. I'm totally addicted now. Of course. Cuz I get addicted to any gambling game. My brother won like ten bucks and I managed to break even. I have a mahjong set in LA and I'm totally going to try to make people play with me. So fun.

This morning, we woke up and opened presents at my Mom's. I got terrific gifts and want to list them here but that seems sort of unnecessary so I won't. We had a great lunch of filet mignon and crab legs. These crab legs were ridiculous huge. Gi-normous. They were so meaty that I had to cut them with a knife and fork before I could eat them. They were so meaty that I could come up with all sort of inappropriate descriptions but I won't. We played a bit of Mahjong, watched the Pistons beat the Pacers (yay!) and then left for my Dad's. At my Dad's we opened more terrific presents, watched the Heat beat the Lakers (yay!), ate pork loin for dinner (see loin runs in the family) and then played poker. I won which was nice, since both my brother and and dad play a lot.

Okay. I'm off to watch the great escape at the end of Sound of Music. Which I've seen over fifty times. And can quote lines from the movie. And can sing all the songs, albeit badly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home