/*

Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Tail Action Last Night

Took AJ to Gladstone's in Malibu last night. I love that place, because you can throw your peanut shells on the floor and no one will yell at you. Max and I shared the two person clambake, which came with shrimp, clams, a lobster, crab legs, corn on the cob and potatoes. Yum! Should have been a healthy-ish meal except for the stick of melted butter I ate with it. Anyway, when the server first brought us our platter I noticed immediately that it was missing the lobster tail. Hmmm. Two claws, a head, a body...but no tail. I don't know about you, but when I order something that comes with a lobster, I expect a tail. So I flagged our server down, pointed out the missing tail and he went back into the kitchen, only to return empty handed. He said apparently the clambake didn't come with a tail - that's how they kept it "affordable." I was a little insulted by this, because it seemed like he was implying I was cheap and I didn't think $65 was particularly "cheap" (even though it's for two people, so it's really only $32.50 per person which isn't too bad) but mostly I was irritated - really, they should mention that the 1 1/2 lb lobster they list on the menu would come tail-less. So the server offered to bring the manager over and at first I wasn't going to make a fuss, but then I was like, no, I'd really like to hear him explain to me how they can justify serving a whole lobster without the tail. But then the server came back with the tail and apparently it was a misunderstanding and the chef thought I wanted a tail in addition to the tail that should come with the lobster and voila, here's our tail. Of course my first thought was - Is this even my tail? Where has this tail been? Has it just been sitting around, hanging out in the kitchen, waiting for someone to pick it up? But tail is tail and I wasn't going to turn it down. Anyway, the manager did come over to apologize and explain that yes, absolutely, the lobster comes with a tail in the clambake and that it was all a misunderstanding. Really, I should have tried to get a free dessert out of him for all the inconvenience, but I was feeling so lovely after my bloody mary that I decided to let it go. Oohhh just had an evil thought. Next time, I'm going to hide my tail as soon as the server turns around and get another one from him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home