/*

Friday, May 27, 2005

Thoughts on Unwashed Hair

So I've been thinking...

I notice when someone hasn't washed their hair that morning. Not that it looks necessarily terrible, but I can tell when it's not freshly washed hair.

I mean, not everyone washes their hair EVERY morning - in fact, we're not supposed to. My hair stylist tried to convince me to wash my hair every 3 or 4 days, which is ridiculous. After 3 or 4 days, you could stick wicks on top of my head and sing Hannukah songs to me.

Anyway, I've decided to compromise and usually skip a day. And on those non-hair-washing days, I convince myself - "Oh you can't tell. It doesn't look so bad. I'll just put it up in a pony tail."

But see, now I'm thinking, since I can tell someone has skipped a day, does this mean other people can tell I've skipped a day?

I mean, do you think what happens is everyone tells themselves it's not noticeable, but actually everyone notices? So rule of thumb is, if you tell yourself it's okay, it's actually not?

Not that non-freshly-washed hair is such a big deal...

3 day weekend baby. My mind is SO not on work.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I skip days for sure. I'm sure some people can tell. But when you can tell, do you go, EW GROSS- that dirty girl did not wash her hair today!!! Maybe, but i think if people do, seems like a weird way to spend time. Sometimes i'm lazy and don't wash it. Sometimes i want to wear my hair up- and let me tell ya- my hair is too thin or fine or whatever the nice word is for the opposite of thick and lush to put it up without the benefit of a day on the hoof or a minor tonnage of "product." I worry about things like weddings or whatev, where you have to be beautiful on a particular day. they say don't wash it before, then go get it done, but who wants to say "til death do us part" with dirty hair? I think the bigger issue is not cleaning oneself in places where smell might be an issue. People should do that EVERY day. It relates to your former post regarding that repulsive commercial where she TOUCHES her clothes with a pad... not ok! Smelliness, also the big no good.

2:28 PM  
Blogger S said...

No, I don't think EW GROSS when I see unwashed hair..

I actually think exactly what I posted - along the lines of "hmm...wonder if that's what my hair looks like when I haven't washed it... wonder if she thought - oh no one will notice"

That bit about weddings - so confusing. I want clean hair on a day like that.

And yes...smelliness, also the big no good.

Not sure if anyone will comment on this, or even comment honestly, but what's the most days you've gone without a shower in recent years? I think a few years back, I was had a bad case of the flu, and I didn't shower for four straight days.

Now, that is a EW GROSS.

4:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i guess my comment on the showering thing will be skewed, cuz i have actual depression. Usually I'm great and I shower daily, or thereabout. In honesty though, when i get really sick, i don't do anything- lasts like a week, sometimes two weeks with like one or two showers max. I think that's different, especially cuz when i'm sick i'm scared of just about everything. Including the shower. It can be noisy and intimidating. When i feel normal, two days max- then it's gotta be done, no matter how lazy I am!

11:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

RETRACTION
I missed a hairwash yesterday- running late as usual, and pretty lazy. This morning I get in and the lady behind the ultrasound desk goes- oh good, i was hopin' you'd wash ya hair mami- you looked like hell yesterday.

Perhaps she is a) commenting on my hellish look in general, and just focusing on my hair b) genuinely offended at unwashed hair c) not really smart enough to make conversation about other things (though here I am, smart enough to write about it more than once). I retract- some people probably do notice and care.

9:44 AM  
Blogger S said...

that woman is RUDE! i mean it's one thing to notice, another to notice and care, and yet ANOTHER to actually say something about it!

12:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home