/*

Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Class Dismissed

My evening advertising class is finally over. Yay! Last night was the last class, and we presented our final group project. You know, I complained a lot about group work, but in the end it worked out fine, because, frankly, there were people who cared a lot more about the project than I did. Like the people who were actually taking it for a grade and not because they had developed an extreme case of work malaise. So everyone was willing to do their part, and one guy in particular became That Guy (the super responsible one who hoists the project on his shoulders and does everyone else's work if they don't do it - usually I am That Girl) and I was just glad it wasn't me.

Anyway, it's all over. Rather than pursuing another business class, I've decided to sign up for a burlesque dance class with Thode. Yes. No business classes for me - I'm gonna learn how to make money the good ole fashioned way. (Kidding of course...) There will be a final graduation performance for the burlesque class at a local bar, but we haven't decided if we'll actually perform. But we have decided that should we perform, none of our male friends will be invited. Lady friends only.

So I am now definitely going to Vegas. Yay! With Kate and Julia and Reggie. We haven't worked out the driving arrangements yet, but I think it looks pretty good that I'll drive with Kate. And subject her to my books on tape of old lady mysteries. Actually, I'm done with the Hamish Macbeth series, all except for one, which I somehow skipped. I've read the next two No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency books (compliments of Lynn, Max's mom - thank you!) and have started on Kite Runner, which is quite good, and quite honestly, a refreshing change from all this "light" reading I've been doing. But Kate...be forewarned...I do have "Sugar Cookie Murder: a Hannah Swensen Mystery" ON TAPE FROM THE LIBRARY!!!

In her first holiday mystery, Fluke (Fudge Cupcake Murder, etc.) takes her series heroine, Hannah Swensen, amateur sleuth and owner of the Cookie Jar bakery in Lake Eden, Minn., through a delectable culinary romp. Hannah has compiled a cookbook of the locals' favorite recipes, which are to be featured at the Christmas party at Lake Eden's community center. All the residents gather for a festive evening, including Martin Dubinski and his wife of two days, Brandi Wyen, a Las Vegas dancer who's decked out in a new fur coat and antique emerald ring. The couple provide much food for thought and speculation, especially for Martin's mother, ex-mother-in-law and ex-wife. Cleaning up after the dinner, Hannah notices her mother's silver cake knife is missing; soon after, she finds the knife stuck in the chest of the new Mrs. Dubinski, who's lying dead in the parking lot. With her sisters and friends, she goes into action to help Det. Mike Kingston solve the case. Wacky and delightful characters, plus tempting recipes from appetizers to desserts, make this lighthearted offering sure to please the palate of any cozy fan.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Teehee-
"delectable culinary romp"???

That's awesome. The author must have had a conversation with her agent that went something like- no, i really want to write a cookbook.

well your last cookbook sucked. your last detective novel however, spent 73 weeks on the NY times list.

i want to write a cook book.

I think we're done here....

What a fusion of interests- I may just have to pick it up!

12:46 PM  
Blogger S said...

Haha. I actually tried a cookie recipe from one of the previous books and the cookies turned out great!

Not good books to read while you're hungry or dieting tho. People eat cookies, pies, cakes, pastries, donuts, and lots of chocolate - non stop - in the series.

1:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home