/*

Monday, December 13, 2004

Weekend Recap

Friday night I watched Monk.

Saturday was a good day. Max and I worked all day on our pot-luck dishes. Max made risotto with portabella mushrooms and hot italian sausage, and I made the cold pizza and of course The Loin. The Loin was a big pain in the ass to make and was genuinely quite a disaster, although I suppose it turned out okay in the end. I had a hard time getting my eggs into The Loin so the presentation was not quite there. It's supposed to look really cool - each slice should have a perfectly sliced hard-boiled egg in the middle (I think there are pics so I'll post when I get them). But my eggs got all mashed in the middle so instead of having a lovely cheery yellow yolk center, they had these weird squishy flat centers. And I overcooked it and burnt the top, so I had to scrape the burnt parts and took only the very very best looking pieces. The Loin weighed about 8 lbs, I salvaged about 2 lbs, and I think I took back home about 1 3/4 lbs. I think it turned out fine (I didn't reheat it there long enough so it seemed a little dry - it's much juicier if I throw it in the microwave), but there was a lot of food at the pot-luck so there was a lot left over. I've been eating some every day since, and at this rate, I might be done by February. But the pot-luck dinner was lots of fun overall and the food and drinks were awesome so it was quite a party.

Sunday morning I had to go to a co-worker's baby shower. It's the first one I've ever been to and was thrown at this gorgeous house in Beverly Hills. The food was great, and it was a surprisingly enjoyable experience. I felt bad about one game we played though - we were supposed to measure out with string what we thought was the circumference of the belly of the mother-to-be - and I was GROSSLY off. Apparently, in my mind she is a Huge Fatty. My piece of string wrapped around her TWICE and was the longest of the party. Oops. At least she seemed to be a good sport about it.

Last night I worked myself into uncontrollable sobs watching Animal Precinct on Animal Planet. SO SAD. In this particular episode, the ASPCA in Massachusetts rescued 49 fox terriers that had been abused by the breeder who owned them. I guess he left them all in a little storage place and none of them had ever been let outside. There was one little guy in particular who had deformed back legs and could only walk with his front legs. He had terrible teeth, bad eyes and a ton of mange (they all did). The vet thought he was about 14 years old - his whole life has just been hell. Poor guy. (*Sniff*) They got him a harness with wheels though so now he can walk and go outside. After that, I was about to go to bed, but on PBS there was some special about pet overpopulation with David Duchovny as the host/narrator. It's called something like Best Friend Forgotten. So I started watching it and it was SO SAD and people really need to spay/neuter their pets. One cat, if left unspayed could lead to potentially 420,000 cats in 7 years!! And each year millions of pets are put to death because people suck and they give their pets away and not enough people adopt from shelters. Anyway, they showed interviews with some assholes talking about why they don't want to spay or neuter their pets and suddenly I recognized one of the guys. He and his wife lived in my old building and they had a boxer and he was talking about how neutering the boxer (whose name is Brutus if I remember correctly) would make him fat and lazy. Idiot. Anyway, after all this I went to give Pig a hug and she was so annoyed with me for waking her up that she groaned loudly several times and huffed a few times. But I feel so lucky to have her.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home