/*

Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Happy Chinese New Year!!!

Well, I am such a lousy Chinese person that I actually did not realize today is Chinese New Year until yesterday. Found out from my dad, who reminded me I should go out and eat fish and shrimp because it's good luck to eat seafood on New Year's Day. I figure that's a much nicer tradition than being hungover and watching the Rose Bowl, so Max and I will probably go have sushi tonight. But sushi is Japanese, you say. Well, yes. But again, being a lousy Chinese person, I don't know of a lot of good authentic Chinese restaurants close by, and besides, I really don't even know how to order authentic Chinese food and would probably end up getting something crappy like the Egg Foo Young (for you "whiteys," no, that's not authentic...nor is the "poo poo platter"...nor the "chop suey," which is just a big practical joke we Chinese are playing on you because it means chopped up ends of vegetables - the garbagey leftover parts we don't want to eat and are shoving off to you.) Anyway, I figure sushi counts so that's what we'll be having tonight.

Yesterday night my mother called me, hysterical, and said "QUICK!!! WRITE THIS NUMBER DOWN!" So I immediately did, not knowing at all what was going on. Then she screamed "IF YOU CALL IT RIGHT NOW, YOU'LL GET MONEY!!" Holy crap. What the hell??? I'm thinking it's some crazy radio call-in lotto thing but as it turns out it is the number to Aunt Laura's cell phone. Apparently, Aunt Laura said that anyone who called her to wish her a Happy New Year would get lucky money. If you've never gotten lucky money before, it means you're not Chinese. Hehe. Basically, the tradition is that upon being wished a happy new year by a younger person, the elder (by at least a generation, I think) has to give them money that comes in these little red envelopes. I suppose they call it "lucky" because, hell, when else would saying "Happy New Year" get you money? Then my mom screamed "CALL HER RIGHT NOW!!! TELL MAX TO CALL HER TOO!! AND TELL MAX TO CALL ME TOO!! - BUT HE HAS TO SAY HAPPY NEW YEAR IN CHINESE!!!" Aha. Herein lies the catch. Here, we have an explaination for the hysterical-ness. Nothing makes my mom happier than 1.) making Max eat weird Chinese food like jellyfish and watching him squirm while he pretends to like it 2.) making Max speak Chinese. This is hilarious to my mom. HILARIOUS. Really. Not kidding.

So I called up my Aunt Laura to say what basically sounds like, "Gong Hai Faht Choi, Say-Ai-Yee! " Which means, "Happy New Year, Aunt Laura!" She laughed and said she'd be mailing me cash. Excellent. So then I called Max and told him to do same. Since Max is currently on unemployment, he was happy to oblige. Max and I had a five minute Who's-on-First type conversation because I kept saying "Say, say-ai-yee" and it got very confusing because he couldn't tell if I was speaking English and stuttering or if I was trying to tell him what the Chinese words were. Haha. And for some reason, my mother insisted that he had to address my Aunt Laura as Aunt Laura so I guess he did. Next he called my mom, but I thought it would be way way way too freaky for all three of us if he addressed her as "Mom" so instead he just said "Gong Hai Faht Choi." And my mom laughed (because it's funny when Max speaks Chinese!) and said she'd be sending him some money.

So anyway, GONG HAI FAHT CHOI!!!

I accept lucky money in the form of cash, check or paypal.


10 Comments:

Blogger LypstykGirl said...

Do I have to give you lucky money since I'm your elder? Now that I officially found out my boyfriend is 9 years older than me, I should wish him Happy New Year and demand lucky money, too.

I'm with your mom - even thinking about hearing Max speak in Chinese makes me laugh.

2:32 PM  
Blogger S said...

I think technically, he has to be a whole generation older, and possibly married, so you're out of luck on this one.

It would be really funny if you just randomly called your older relatives, shouted "Happy New Year!" and demanded they send you money.

3:16 PM  
Blogger S said...

Even funnier would be to call my Aunt Laura up, shout "Happy New Year" and demand that she send you money.

3:24 PM  
Blogger LypstykGirl said...

Ooo, what's Aunt Laura's #? I'll practice "gong hai faht choi."

(Kidding. What I'm dead serious about is a girls' nite out - maybe at the end of the month when my parents return to MI...)

4:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i laughed really hard at this post.

5:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey, need your address to send lucky money. write email to laurawlee@yahoo.com

say-ai-yee

5:27 PM  
Blogger S said...

Lypstykgirl - I am so with you on the girl's night. End of month sounds good to me. Maybe by that time, i will have worked off the eight chickens I ate this weekend and will actually look decent.

Anonymous - glad you laughed. :) Thanks for commenting. Do I know you, or are you really anonymous? I'm going to guess you are my old roomie - am i right?

Say-ai-yee - hehe. You should register and make that your login name. Anyway, I'll send you an e-mail with my address.

5:38 PM  
Blogger ElliottPreciousPants said...

Haha, Kari e-mailed me and wished me a Happy Chinese New Year, too! She's not chinese and she remembered...that's impressive. Although I am not chinese either so.....she could have said that any day and I would have just been like "oh, all right...thank you."

hehe. I too think it would be funny to hear Maz speak chinese. Do you remember when you tried to teach me chinese words like 'bed' and 'book' and tried to teach me how to eat with chopsticks? Well, I don't remember any chinese words--but I can still use chopsticks!!! We are at the restaurant a looong time while I try and use them...but I wouldn't starve to death if society did away with forks.

6:26 AM  
Blogger Bookfraud said...

Ha, very funny stuff. I tried wishing Wife "Gong Hai Faht Choi," but ended up saying something about vegetables instead. Guess I'm a hopeless gwailo.

11:43 AM  
Blogger S said...

elliot - i can't tell you how many people i've taught to use chopsticks. max, in fact, did not know how to use chopsticks when we first started dating.

bookfraud - the fact that you know the word gwailo means that you're not hopeless...

4:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home