/*

Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Men & Sports

So, having shirked (that's a real word right?) all sorts of responsibilities last night, I was able to catch yesterday's Pistons game. Which was awesome. Nail biting to the end. Go Pistons!! Whoo Hoo!!

I've always been a basketball fan but these last few years I've become an all-around sports fan. Obviously because of Max. That man cannot get enough sports and as a result, I've taken up an interest since we started dating. I suspect it happened by osmosis - by just sitting around in front of enough games, I eventually took an interest.

I like watching Sportscenter, Around the Horn, and Pardon the Interuption. Sometimes I even watch that idiot Jim Rome. I have opinions about which sports broadcasters are good, and which sports talk guys know what they're talking about. Weird. Even weirder - last Saturday we watched NFL Europe and then arena football.

Sometimes, Max gets really quiet and thoughtful and says "So I've been thinking..." and in my head I eagerly anticipate something really interesting (about me? about us?), but it's inevitably something about sports. Or he'll look really pensive and I'll ask him the dreaded girlfriend question, "What are you thinking?" and again, it's sports. Or apparently "nothing," which is a frequent reply as well. (how can one be thinking about nothing ?!?! there's always something, right??)

Last night, after he said "So I've been thinking..." followed by some observation about the Spurs (this was shortly after we had been talking about other stuff), I remarked, "It's amazing, after while your mind just defaults back to sports. Sports is your default setting."

To which he answered, after a thoughtful pause, "Yeah. You're right. It's my homepage."

Funny.

Made me wonder if I had a default setting. I don't think so. Made me wonder if the default setting for most guys is sports. That, I believe.

What's YOUR homepage? (sounds like a bad slogan, doesn't it?)

Something to think about, peeps...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think my homepage alternates according to what is going on in my life. Most of the time my homepage is work. I have a blank spot and then my thoguhts immediately go there. Recently the second and third runners up are sex and househunting. Whatever. Shame that work came before both of them.
-aj

5:44 PM  
Blogger LypstykGirl said...

I tend to default to music. Right now it's "Lolly, lolly, lolly, get your adverbs here." Then sex. Then fantasies that I'm rich and powerful, crushing all in my way. Bwahahaha!

The majority of my ex-boys interest in sports ranged from mild to hatred (the latter did wear makeup though). I was usually the one more into sports especially hockey and boxing. Luckily, Mike likes those sports, too. I tried getting into football but that ship sailed. It's not the violence; it's just that the violence happens at such a slow pace.

4:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home