/*

Tuesday, July 18, 2006

In Loving Memory of Tigger

I found out yesterday that my dad's dog Tigger died last week. He was about 12 years old and super cute - part chow, part german shepherd part super furry brown bear. He had spent several early years of his life in a kennel thanks to a rescue group who saved him from the pound and was a bit of a grumpy dog until he really mellowed out in his later years. If he liked you, he'd "give you his butt" which meant that if you started petting him on his head and he liked you, he'd turn around and ask you to pet his lower back/butt area. We thought this meant he trusted you. He loved to go out to the backyard, and then back in, and then out again, and then back in again...sometimes I think he did it just to drive whoever was sitting by the screen door crazy! One of the main reasons I got Pig was because of Tigger, so she really should thank him for that. I had always vaguely wanted a dog, but it wasn't until I was home for a long visit and really hung out with him and my dad's other dog Happy, that I realized how rewarding and fun it is to have one. I had also decided to go through a rescue group specifically because of him as well.

So, give your pet (or someone else's pet) a big hug and a piece of cheese (Tigger's favorite snack) on behalf of Tigger today. Despite the fact that they can drive us crazy and break our wallets, they really are great companions and the time that we have with them is just never enough.

7 Comments:

Blogger ElliottPreciousPants said...

Oh! Your poor dad. I will keep him and Tigger in my thoughts--although Tigger's up there in doggie heaven, eating cheese and grilled hot dogs or something, with screen doors that open and close constantly, for the rest of eternity.

I'll give the bunnies some oatmeal today when I get home on Tig's behalf.

10:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

our cat likes to give the butt as well, but with a twist on a classic. she head butts you, gets you to pat her, then circles around to get ready to flop, lifts the tail, then flops exposed cat-ass first onto any piece of you available (arm, foot, face)... it's endearing in a way. in another way, she's just rubbing you with her butthole.

will hug the butt for your pops this evening, and pat the bunny. the best part about pets is that they will spend their lives with us. the worst part is that they spend their whole lives with us, and we miss them.

10:54 AM  
Blogger LypstykGirl said...

I'm sorry about the loss of Tigger. I can't quite envision a chow/german shepherd mix, but it sounds cute. We always got our cats from the shelter and my grandparents' dog Rocky was a pound dog, too. Rest in peace, cheese-eating Tigger, in Elliott's vision of doggie heaven.

2:10 PM  
Blogger S said...

I love this idea that Tigger is eating cheese in a doggie heaven filled with automatic screen doors. Also, in his doggie heaven - no thunderstorms that would cause him to run and hide in the bathtub. And no hair cuts. And his meals are made of salami, not just dog food with a little shredded salami sprinkled on top! :)

Melissa - the butt rubbing is the type of thing that when it's not your cat...maybe kinda gross, but if it's your cat, it's totally cute.

Anyway, thanks for the thoughts. I'm sure my dad appreciates them.

5:17 PM  
Blogger Thode said...

Awww - May Tigger R.I.P. He sounds adorable. After Gidget went to that great litter box in the sky, I can't imagine going through another pet death, so I totally sympathize. I know I will be that weirdo with Taxidermy Punk laying in a bed by the fireplace as I refer to her as though she is still with us.

Hugs and cheese to Tigger!

4:45 PM  
Blogger S said...

Thanks Thode. I know you're joking (sort of) but Taxidermy Pig has crossed my mind more times than anyone would like to know so you're not alone.

Have you given Punk any of those cookies? They made Pig fart, so I figured I'd leave it up to you to see if Punk would have the same reaction. Will not feel bad if you decide not to find out!

11:10 PM  
Blogger Thode said...

Yes, Punk has eaten many of the cookies. Haven't noticed any farting, but I thought it was pretty funny that you gave us those cookies to experiment on her. Hey, I was curious too! She's been a little constipated, but I think that's cause I gave her a lot of pizza crusts the other night.

3:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home