/*

Thursday, August 17, 2006

Hotdogs and Listeria

Poor blog. Haven't been posting lately as I've suddenly been on an online poker kick again. I'm up $200 so far so I'm pretty happy about that! Have also been spending my free time looking up the diseases they mention on that show House, M.D. Thoroughly informative. I've learned more about listeria and legionnaire's disease than I care to.

Last Saturday, Max and I had our bonfire party, which was very cool. Max headed down to the beach early in the day to ensure we got a fire pit. I joined him in the afternoon with enough hot dogs and hot links to feed a small army. After having five straight meals of hot dogs/links/brats over the course of the weekend (we brought the leftovers to Amol's house to bbq on Sunday), we called it quits and stuck the rest in the freezer. That bit that I learned about listeria would have come in handy before I ate all that processed food.

I've finished reading Love in the Time of Cholera. It was excellent, which made my next reading choice even more unbearable. I gave up on The Other Boleyn Girl, which will be made into a movie, and sounded kind of cool - a fictional (I think) account of Anne Boleyn's sister. Too bad it's written like a romance novel for people at a 5th grade reading level. The fact that I accidently got the "Large Print" edition did not help.

5 Comments:

Blogger ElliottPreciousPants said...

Listeria bacteria can cause still births. I've been advised to not eat cold cut sandwiches during my pregnancy because of it. Good bye, Subway--unles you are tuna (which I hate), seafood and crab, or something with chicken breast....

Weirdly enough, they said that hot dogs, in moderation, or OK so long as they are cooked and are still hot--no cold hot dogs. Same with bacon--only in moderation.

9:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

we have legionella in the hospital water supply here. you can only drink out of bottles and the bubblers, which they were supposed to put everywhere, but ours never works. supposedly, healthy people don't get infections from legionella, but i'm not going to test it out.

10:29 AM  
Blogger S said...

Yeah, I think 1/3 of listeria cases are with pregnant women - guess you guys are more susceptible?

Melissa - if there's legionella in the water supply, can you brush your teeth with the water?

2:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah, no tooth brushing, dish washing, water drinking, pill taking (tomar-ing las medicinas), counter wiping, hand washing... the list goes on. you're supposed to use bottled water for everything, and the hospital is supposed to provide it... they're a little slack about the duty. apparently, there were reports that they knew about the bacteria for A YEAR before they even told the staff. pretty yuck. pregnant women don't get infections from legionella as a rule either, it just can theoretically f-up their babies if they're exposed. kind of like cleaning a cat box- unpregnant, no issue, pregnant, you're still safe, baby's at risk. ew.

9:52 AM  
Blogger S said...

That just seems ridiculously inconvenient for a hospital!

12:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home