/*

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Nonsense on a Tuesday

My new favorite show to get from Netflix is "Monarch of the Glen" which is this BBC Scotland series that ran from 2000-2005, about a guy named Archie Macdonald who moves back home to the Highlands where he lives with his family and reluctantly fulfills his role as the new laird of Glenbogle. He has try to save the estate, which has been in his family for generations, from financial disaster and the rest of his family are idiots. Am absolutely in love with the series which Max describes as a bit like Arrested Development, but is neither funny, interesting nor good. He hates it obviously. Actually it's more like an even fluffier version of Northern Exposure. I'm watching it to see if Archie ends up with current girlfriend Justine (boo!), his housekeeper Lexi (that might be okay) or Katrina, the local school teacher (yay!). Really, I am ridiculously easy. Get a cute lead actor, throw in some quirky characters, set up a love triangle and I'm hooked. Plus now I can do a very poor Scottish accent.

My second new favorite thing to watch is the "Mystery!" program on PBS on Sunday nights- generally they show an episode from the new Miss Marple series. Sometimes it's followed by "Rosemary & Thyme" which is this mystery series about two old lady gardeners named, yes you guessed it, "Rosemary" and "Thyme" (I think "Thyme" is the last name of one, and "Rosemary" is the first name of one) who go around solving crimes. I really am 28 going on 78.

Speaking of being getting old, I had no idea what a podcast is and had to look it up on wikipedia the other day. Sad. But then I understood, and also learned that Tim from Project Runway has a podcast! How awesome is that.? I'm totally subscribing to it and plan on listening to Tim while I exercise on the elliptical machine. Maybe I will invent a Tim-Gunn-Podcast-Exercising game where every time he says "carry on!" or "make it work" I'll do a set of push-ups. Uh, maybe.

But, I still don't know what a "sidekick" is. See, this is how it starts. First you watch random crap on the BBC, next words like "podcast" or "sidekick" mean nothing to you and before you know it, you turn into your mother and say things like "Rap is crap." The other day, my cousin Anders said he'd play something "old school"on his ipod for us and he played a Nirvana song. Was horrified naturally.

4 Comments:

Blogger kate g said...

monarch of the glen is awesome.
ignore max. he obviously (in the words of my grandmother) doesn't know what's good.

except for you. in ladies, he obviously has excellent taste.

:)
how's pig?

11:06 AM  
Blogger S said...

Oh I'm so glad someone besides me actually knows about it! IT'S AWESOME!! So far I'm only about 4 episodes into the second season and it's delicious. Hmmm. The only thing that bothers me somewhat is that I really don't think Archie is that into Katrina. At least not the way it's written or directed. They always have characters who say things like "you're obviously in love with Katrina" and I get that I'm supposed to think that, but from an objective perspective, I'm not really picking up the vibes. But, I'm going along with it.

Pig is okay. Was disappointed to learn that after two weeks of antibiotics, her UTI has not cleared up. So they are switching to a different kind, and we're trying that for three weeks. Hopefully it's nothing to be concerned about!

11:14 AM  
Blogger LypstykGirl said...

Wow, Nirvana is officially old school. The other day I was "ma'am"-ed by the kid behind the counter at Baskin-Robbins. I turned to Mike and asked, "Am I a 'ma-am' now?" He rolled his eyes and said for me to suck it up.

1:25 PM  
Blogger kate g said...

i think i'll have to find it on dvd around here. they were showing it on our local pbs station, but i haven't noticed it lately. my stepdad likes it too. my mom does not get british humor at all, but brently and i love it. :)
i'm glad the vets are at least staying on top of pigs situation enough to switch it. poor pig.

8:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home