/*

Friday, October 08, 2004

Mother Hubbard's Cupboard & the Bitchy Librarian

The whole eating-everything-in-your-house experiment has gone pretty well. I don't have anything left in my fridge but condiments, bread, soy milk, a few slices of old cheese, an onion, an orange and about eight cups of yogurt (leftover from a Costco size pack I bought a few weeks ago). I did cheat a little bit cuz, well, I was hungry as hell and I wasn't gonna take it any more. Heh. After Wimmin's Poker, I took a late night trip to the Steak Depot down the street from me and had me a mushroom steak sandwich. Lunch yesterday was Panda Express and dinner was Subway - so, okay, I guess I cheated a lot. But there really wasn't much left to eat. Just a few items. And I was so determined to empty out the freezer that I ate the frozen falafels this morning for breakfast. They were good - I have no idea why I've avoided them for so long.

I've decided to make the drive up to SF today. After paying a hefty library fine this morning and fighting with a VERY rude librarian (I'm not going to even get into it - just makes me angry), I checked out a bunch of books on tape. I was disappointed because I usually check out these really corny "cozy mystery" books written by M.C. Beaton. They're totally for senior citizens and are about this old silly English woman named Agatha Raisin (see how silly) who solves murders in her local village in England. Really really lame. But I love them because they're easy to listen to and make the drive go by fast. Anyway, they didn't have them, EVEN THOUGH I REQUESTED THEM (okay, this is getting into dangerous territory for me because it's making me think about that stupid librarian) so I had to check out some other books. Unfortunately, the library I went to is the local one which is just down the street from me but sucks. And is dirty. (It really is - I had to wash my hands after I left.) Anyway, I got what should be some light listening - a Neil Simon play read by Richard Dreyfuss, The Devil Wear's Prada, some Janet Evanovich trash mystery novel starring Stephanie Plum - a sassy female bounty hunter, and an English mystery about a cat and a Tiffany lamp with an elderly female detective (I was clearly looking for a substitute for my Agatha Raisin mysteries). Hopefully that will keep me occupied until the second presidential debate comes on, which I may or may not get on the radio, depending on where I'll be on my drive.

4 Comments:

Blogger ElliottPreciousPants said...

Sareet! You can't use the words 'Janet Evanovich' and 'trash' in the same sentence! Are you kidding! Her books are so fabulous! In fact, when I was reading about your love for the Agatha Raisin mysteries, I was thinking hey, she should get the Stephanie Plum series ones. I love those books! Which one did you get? I haven't listened to them on tape, but I love reading them.

There. Now I said my piece and defended my guilty pleasure. Oh, and while we're on it, I liked the Secret Window movie with Johnny Depp:). I didn't figure it out right away, and I liked it. But one of my coworkers watched the entire thing, he also didn't like it, but when he found out I saw it too he was asking me questions about it like, "So who was that guy with the hat? I didn't like how they never solved the mystery of that guy or the story, and why did Johnny Depp start wearing that guy's hat at the end?? " So see, there are people dumber than I am:)

3:11 PM  
Blogger S said...

Oh man. I'd keep an eye on that co-worker of yours. I wouldn't leave any important work for him to do!

I got "Two for the Dough" - have you read that one? I am not going to make fun of you since I like those Agatha Raisin books and to be fair, it might have been the fault of the narrator, but I thought the writing was pretty ham-y. Even so, I'm hooked and have been listening all day driving back and forth from the office. My main complaint is that it's pretty predictable. I'm not quite to the end but I'm sure I have everything figured out. And I think Stephanie Plum has horrid taste in clothes!!! That part drives me crazy - she's always describing what she's wearing and it sounds terrible to me!! :) Plus she has a hamster - yuck.

Usually I get the Agatha Raisin tapes for a car ride but I think I'm going to get some for the weekend and listen to them at home. And crochet. And have tea and crumpets. And be an old lady. You should borrow one from the library - the tape version that is. I once picked up an actual book and read a few pages and found the writing was even worse than it sounded on the tapes. Still, I like them. :)

5:59 PM  
Blogger ElliottPreciousPants said...

Yeah, that co-wrker is a weirdo. He does weird crap like that all the time. Last night he was telling me about this movie he was watching called the unbelievable truth, that was really great and he thought I would like it. So I asked him about it, and he was like oh it's about this guy that gets out of jail for killing his girlfriend and her parents, and then when he gets out this high school girl falls in love with him, and first her parents try to pay him to get out of her life, but then they notice that he's really a nice guy, so they try to keep their high school daughter and this old guy who killed people together. THEN he said he thought the reason I would like it is because it sounds like my life, and where I am now, and how I could probably relate to the girl who is in high school and in love with the killer.???? I was like well, did they ever talk about why he killed his ex and her parents? And he was like oh yeah they talked about it, but I don't remember anything about that. ??? This guy also thinks rape shouldn't be a crime, because after all it's ultimately just sex, and sex is fun, so the RAPE part shouldn't be a crime--now if you get raped and beat up, the beating part should be against the law because it hurts.....yeah, I do watch this one.

I have never listened to the stephanie plum books. I won't argue that she's got some nasty fashion sense, but I think that's part of the joke. I think they are fabulous because they are funny, easy to read, although I admit, oftentimes pretty predictable. But you know I've noticed, after talking to other people, I think more people than you think NEED it to be that simple and predictable, you know what I'm saying? *wink wink*. But I like them because they are stories that keep you interested, you want to know what happens to her, the characters are likeable, and at the end you don't usually sit around thinking about the message or anything--they're not deep books. I'll have to try the agatha raisin--would men like them too? I am going to the library tonight to find some books on tape that we both might enjoy for the long drive home for the shower next weekend.

5:21 AM  
Blogger S said...

Okay, your co-worker is super super scary. Definitely stay away from him, and RUN if you see him in the women's bathroom or down a dark alley way!! I hate to be dramatic, but he just seems like a crime waiting to happen.

6:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home