/*

Monday, April 24, 2006

Grasshopper Pie Recipe

So here is Max's Grandma E's recipe for Grasshopper Pie. I've added a few notes here and there in bold.

Sorry I have taken so long to answer your email. I don't go on the computer every day so I hadn't seen your message. Of course it is alright to share this receipe. It is at least 50 years old. When I first had it, we didn't even have Cool Whip, but had to whip cream with the beater. The Cool Whip seems to work just as well however Lynn mentioned that you had a few problems with it (mine turned out sort of soft - more like a mousse texture) so I will write it down again for you along with af ew hints that may help.

Creme de Menthe Pie.--


Use a pretty good sized pie dish 9 to 10 inch. I always used a glass one that had been around for years-Lynn has it now. You can buy the oreo pie crust already made, but it is not near as good nor the right size.The pie filling should come almost to the top of the crust edge when you pour it in.

Crust-26 whole oreo cookies crushed finely. Use rolling pin on wax paper (makes easy pouring into bowl) or a food processor. Be sure the crumbs are very fine. Save a few crumbs to sprinkle on top of pie - less than 1/4 of a cup. Pour the rest into a bowl and mix with 2 and 1/2 Tbl. melted butter - or Fleishman oleo - the kind that comes in a stick. Mix well and press into bottom and up sides of pie pan. Set aside while you do the rest of the receipe. It gives
it a chance to sort of firm up.


Filling - Melt 34 regular size marshmellows that have been cut into quarters. (I used minimarshmallows) Keep the hot water running and put your scissors under the water every few minutes so they don't get so sticky. Shake off excess water. I much prefer scissors to a knife. Melt the marshmellow in 8 0z. Half and Half (I was lazy and didn't measure it and eyeballed instead, which might have been part of the problem). Use a low fire and a small whisk to help melt. Cool to the point where you can stick your finger in it and it is not hot. You can put in the fridge for this but watch it doesn't get set. When cool, fold (not stir) I use a 2in. rubber spatula for this-fold in 8 oz. carton Cool Whip and 2 to 3 oz. creme de menthe. (I used about half a bottle, which is also possibly why it didn't solidify - Max said he likes his pie very minty, and it took several shots to get it very minty) Sprinkle with left over crumbs and put in freezer. This has to freeze unlike jello that sets up. I have always made it the day or even two before I need it. I put toothpicks here and there (not alot) over it and then spread plastic wrap over it so the top stays nice. It should set level in the freezer. This sounds like I have made it very complicated and it is really quite simple, I just added these few hints to make it easy for you.

I've also included Max's Grandma T's recipe, which I found highly amusing. I can see where Max got his sense of humor. I got the Grandmas mixed up, so she had no idea what I was talking about when I emailed her asking for her grasshopper pie recipe.

First you have to run through a field that contains Grasshoppers with a bushel basket so you can catch them. Then you have to have some kind of a cover so they don't jump out, When you get them home, you have to take each one out individually and pull their legs off. Then you place them in a precooked pie shell, add a half cup of brown sugar, with a tablespoon of cornstarch, mixed in the sugar and pour over the grasshoppers. Dot with butter sprinkle with cinnamon, and place in 350 degree oven for one hour. Let cool and eat.
They are absolutely delicious.

Seriously, I have never made a grasshopper pie in my life. Max is pulling your leg. But tell him to have a Happy Birthday without the pie.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i want grandma t to be my grandma!!!

3:35 PM  
Blogger ElliottPreciousPants said...

That's awesome:) Max's grandmas rock. Thanks for sending the recipe, and since my entire pregnancy weight gain is officially 0-1 pounds (seems like the first time I went to the midwife, I was a pound heavier than at the doctor, but since we don't know if it a difference in the scales or whatever....it's a 0-1 pound pain) I can afford to have some grasshopper pie. Sounds delicious!

7:28 AM  
Blogger S said...

Except creme de menthe is alcohol so you'll have to wait!!!

But good job on the pregnancy weight gain, or rather, lack of!

9:39 AM  
Blogger ElliottPreciousPants said...

I didn;t realize it was alcohol! I thought it was an extract or something, like peppermint extract. Man.

9:45 AM  
Blogger S said...

Oh Max's Grandma E just emailed me to tell me, don't use mini-marshmallows. I guess they don't turn out as well as the big ones! Go figure.

11:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home