/*

Wednesday, June 20, 2007

A Worthy Post

So this is my 693rd post. That's a lot of posts about nothing. But...for the first time, I actually have something purposeful to share with my dear readers - all two of you. (altho one could argue that my posts about Pig's poop do serve a purpose - what that may be remains unclear, but deep down there must be some reason why I persist, right? Right?)

So, my brother's girlfriend who I believe I named "Justine" on this blog, (on the grounds that "Theo Huxtable" had a girlfriend named "Justine" and I like to pretend I live in The Cosby Show) is doing something really admirable. She's raising $2500 for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society in order to participate in the Nautica New York Triathlon on July 22, 2007. Yep, that's right - TRIATHLON. When I consider that sometimes I call Max on the cellphone from my bed because I am too lazy to get up and walk into the living room to talk to him, the idea of training for a TRIATHLON is just unfathomable. My brain and muffin top hurt a bit when I think about it.

Anyway, she needs help raising the money - as of this posting she's raised $1,808.00. So, please help her get to $2500!!! Preferably by July 1st, which is the intial deadline. She sent this email out, which I will cut and paste into the post, that better explains why you should contribute if you can!

From "Justine":

I am raising $2500 for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society in order to participate in the Nautica New York Triathlon on July 22, 2007 and I need your help! The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society enables blood cancer research and improves the quality of life for cancer patients.

*Founded in 1949, the Society has invested more than $483 million for research specifically targeting blood cancers. Its mission is to cure leukemia, lymphoma, Hodgkin's disease and myeloma. Already, the relative five-year survival rate for people with leukemia has tripled in the past 40 years, and Hodgkin lymphoma is now considered one of the most curable forms of cancer, thanks to radiation, chemotherapy or a combination of the two. These advances were made possible by aid and funding from the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. (www.lls.org)*

Please visit this website www.active.com/donate/tntnyc/tntnycCGroat and place a monetary donation to support this cause. Even as little as $5 would mean the world to me. $100 or more and you have a delicious homemade batch of peanut butter cookies coming to your mailbox compliments of moi (not to brag, but they're really good)...

If that's not enough, here are other compelling reasons to donate:

10. It will help you sleep better at night (here's to you, my fellow insomniacs!).
9. You have a chance at eating the best peanut butter cookies you will ever taste.
8. Your donation will be 100% deductible on your tax return.
7. It brings good karma and favorable fortune cookie readings.
6. You were one of the numerous people who gave me the crazy idea that I should do a triathlon in the first place (yes, there is a responsibility here, you know who you are).
5. You understand that raising $2,500 in donations truly is not easy.
4. a. You have money in your pocket to burn (my favorite).
-OR-
b. You foresee having money in your pocket to burn after finishing
that ______ (degree/poker tourney/loan payment) and would love to make an early feel-good investment in a great cause.
3. You support participation in triathlons, marathons, road races, aquathons, duathlons and/or generally healthy masochistic endeavors (includes eating organically!).
2. You will single-handedly (the click of a mouse!) be funding a cure for cancer.

And the number one reason you should donate....


1. You know someone who has been affected by these blood cancers, or cancer in general, and would like to honor this person by supporting research that will cure or prevent these conditions. Convinced yet? Please donate and pass this along; it really will make a difference - my life and in the lives of cancer patients everywhere. Thank you!

I actually IM'd "Theo" to see if her peanut butter cookies are any good - he says they are! Better news yet, "Justine" just sent another email saying she's lowering her close-out sale and anyone who donates $75 will get a batch of ANY kind of homemade cookies they want! Of course any size donation would help - even $5. That's just one mocha frappucino, if you think about it. Instead of consuming 450 calories, you could support someone who is actually doing the working out FOR you! Ooh, this means you can skip the gym today!

Anyway, please give my blog SOME meaning and purpose (because of course it's about me and not about the cancer patients!!) Please donate any amount you can!!

And I will add, in case you're like "oh whatever, I don' t know this 'Justine'" that she is very cool and reads my blog regularly and apparently laughed out loud at the "funnel cake" story I mentioned a few posts ago. See? Now you know her. Clearly a cool girl so please help her out!


2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yet another reason to seriously adore your blog. Thank you so much for posting this! Can I hire you as my campaign manager?!

1:42 PM  
Blogger S said...

You're welcome! Hope it is helpful!

5:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home