/*

Tuesday, September 28, 2004

Yoga

Since I'm on Day 2 of my new found healthy living lifestyle (I jogged and took a pilates class yesterday!), I went to a yoga class this morning. The instructor looks like a young Martha Stewart and has a weird east coastish accent. She pronounces her "a's" funny - like instead of "San Francisco" she'll say "Sahn Frahncisco." I like the class but I have a hard time taking her seriously when she says things like "gaze up at the sky & feel the sun" (more like "gahze up at the sky....") or "plant your feet into the earth." It's 7 a.m. and I'm "warrior posing" with a bunch of grandmas at the local Bally's. I don't know about her, but when I look up, I notice that this cheapo Bally's has yet to replace several broken fluorescent lights and that a few ceiling tiles are loose. And there's definitely no "earth" under my feet - just a very used, publicly-shared yoga mat provided by the gym. I'm terrified I'll pick up Athlete's Foot from it so I always wear socks. I am the only one in the class who wears socks but I refuse to be embarrassed about it. It makes getting into the poses more challenging because I don't have a good grip (as in, I can't use my sweaty feet to make me stick to the mat) but I don't care. I think it's totally unhygienic. Worse than bowling shoes - at least they spray those with anti-fungal spray. Actually while I was in "Child's Pose" today (you sort of kneel and put your head down forward on the mat, arms out and stretch), I started to worry that I might pick up Athlete's Foot on my forehead. I mean, I assume that's possible. It's just a skin fungus. I could totally have it on my forehead. Like right now. I could have those awful green things they show on the Lotrimin commercial roaming around on my forehead. I'd have to put foot powder stuff on my face. Great. I'm going to have to WebMD that and find out if it's possible to get foot fungus on my face.

Maybe I should just buy myself a mat. Now there's an idea...

5 Comments:

Blogger ElliottPreciousPants said...

Hey Sareet--

I seriously hate Yoga, for that reason. Anything that makes you go barefoot in a public place is bad. I've never even been anywhere where they would LET you do Yoga and wear socks--they told me I could wear shoes, because socks only are too slippery--but it's tough to do Yoga in shoes.

Speaking as someone who has had athlete's foot--don't worry about that. Granted I have only had it once, but it wasn't such a big deal. It itches like crazy--like you start scratching your skin off just to relieve the itching, but when you finally go to a doctor and he gives you something to treat it with (the over the counter stuff doesn't work that well, I guess) it goes away almost immediately. I mean the relief is instant, and it is gone! So don't worry so much about that. But if you feel like worrying, I would be way more worried about getting plantars warts. Those are way worse--I've had them before too (see when you swim as much as I do, you are pretty prone to this stuff so you have to be VERY careful). Plantars warts are way more contagious, and since they are actually a virus, you usually just have to wait until they run their course. The medicines and stuff you put on them almost never help, a podiatrist will try to burn them off with acid or liquid nitrogen which hurts like a mofo, and they can take YEARS to run their course. Seriously. I said YEARS. Yeah. Athlete's foot is the LEAST of your problems. That's at least imminently treatable.

Have a good day:)
:)

5:41 AM  
Blogger S said...

AHHHHH!!! THAT IS AWFUL!!! WHAT IF I GOT PLANTAR'S WARTS ON MY FUCKING FOREHEAD????!!!

10:45 AM  
Blogger 3am wanderer said...

Jesus. Why do you have to scare Lemonjello that way???? Sareet. GET YOUR OWN MAT! That would solve a lot of problems. :)

11:16 AM  
Blogger S said...

I think I'll have to take a lunchtime trip to Target today and pick up a mat. I seriously can't stand the thought of having Plantar's Warts on my face!

11:59 AM  
Blogger ElliottPreciousPants said...

Yeah, I thought it was awful, too. Getting your own mat is a great idea:)

5:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home